Inspiring all girls to be strong, smart, and boldGive Today
ADVOCATING ON BEHALF OF ALL GIRLS
Driving policies and practices that open doors to girls and ensure equality.
We engage in advocacy that focuses on the needs of girls from low-income communities and girls who face multiple, intersectional challenges such as those based on sex, race, religion, ethnicity, immigration status, disability, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
Engaging in advocacy is a natural extension of the empowerment work that Girls Inc. does through its program for girls ages 5-18. By advocating for issues important to girls and women, together, we can impact the lives of many more girls, not only in Santa Fe, but throughout New Mexico and the United States.
The Girls Inc. advocacy program puts girls interests and concerns front and center and prepares them for a future of civic engagement on issues that are important to them, their peers, and our collective futures.
Girls Inc. Advocacy Platform
Girls Inc. is committed to advancing the rights and opportunities of girls and young women, to reduce and eliminate the barriers girls face, and to reform systems that impede their success. We approach this work with an equity lens, focusing in particular on the needs of girls from low-income communities and girls of color, who face multiple, intersectional challenges
We are committed to girl-centered advocacy, informed by the lived experiences of girls in our network, and girl-led advocacy that lifts up girls’ voices and empowers them to be change agents in their communities and beyond.
GIRLS INC. POLICY AND ADVOCACY PRIORITIES
Combat Bullying, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence
- Ensure schools prevent and address harassment and violence, and student survivors get the support they need to continue their education.
- Prevent sexual violence, teen dating violence, and child sex trafﬁcking by raising awareness and pushing schools to teach healthy relationship education and train staff to identify signs of victimization.
- Strengthen laws, policies, and programs that promote trauma-informed practices and improve support for survivors of gender-based violence.
Promote Access to Education & Economic Independence
- Promote girls’ access to meaningful educational opportunities for career paths that are nontraditional for women, including in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
- Advance diverse media representation of women and girls in nontraditional career ﬁelds.
- Reform unfair school discipline policies and practices that disproportionately push out of school girls of color, girls with disabilities, and LGBT youth.
- Advance policies that provide educational opportunities for young women, regardless of real or perceived immigration status or family income.
Support Girls’ Mental Health
- Combat prevalent stigmas surrounding mental health issues and treatment, including depression, anxiety, eating disorders, and trauma.
- Promote diverse, empowering images of girls and women of all races, ethnicities, skin colors, sizes, body types, and abilities, and combat limiting depictions of women that contribute to mental health conditions and low self-esteem.
- Push for more school-based health centers, counselors, social workers, and other programs that help low-income youth access mental health services.
- Advocate for trauma survivors’ access to the resources they need to heal and succeed, in schools, in the juvenile justice system, and in their communities.
Advance Reproductive Health
- Advocate for schools to provide comprehensive, medically accurate, non-shaming, and LGBT-inclusive sexuality education that informs young people about how to prevent unintended pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.
- Expand and protect access to quality, affordable reproductive health care for girls and young women.
We are committed to changing the attitudes and policies that affect girls’ lives and limit their potential, and we need your help to move this work forward! Join us in lifting up the voices of girls, whose futures depend on policy and cultural changes that are long overdue. Stay in touch and take action with us!
Sexual harassment and violence is an epidemic and it starts at a young age. Still, as a society we perpetuate attitudes and behaviors that harm girls and follow them into adulthood. #MeToo brought the issue mainstream. Let’s address the root cause. Together, we can build a more equitable society that values and promotes the dignity of all people. Check out the #GirlsToo campaign by visiting girlstoo.girlsinc.org!
Download the #GirlsToo Respect Steps here!