Girls Incorporated is a national organization with roots dating to 1864. Girls Incorporated dedicated to providing vital, innovative educational programs to girls, particularly those who are underserved or at risk. Our National Resource Center does research on the needs of girls, develops programs based on this research, and evaluates these programs nationally for effectiveness.
In the 1860’s the founders of the Girls Clubs of America set out to make profound and lasting change by inspiring the girls to develop their skills and their self-confidence to successfully navigate the challenges of growing up female. And while the specific challenges for girls have changed dramatically, the need for this type of inspiration is, if anything, stronger today than it was in the late 1800s. In the 1990s the Girls Clubs of America changed its name to Girls Incorporated, a name chosen by the girls to express that “growing up is serious business.”
In Santa Fe, the movement to serve girls and young women took root in the 1950s. In early 1955, the Junior Welfare Association proposed “Project Girls Club.” Later that year the Girls Club of Santa Fe opened its doors. On May 21, 1956, a mere seven months after its founding, the national organization accepted Santa Fe as an affiliate. In 1959, General Patrick Jay Hurley and Ruth Wilson Hurley donated their home at Hillside Avenue to Girls Inc. of Santa Fe, where we have been serving Santa Fe girls ever since.
In 1996 Girls Inc. of Santa Fe became a member of the Youth and Family Consortium at Zona del Sol in Tierra Contenta. Girls Inc. provided services at either Zona del Sol or Cesar Chavez Elementary School from 2005 to 2011.